Monday, July 19, 2010

week 4&5 @tfi...n story moves to mumbai....

Week 4 just rushed through....the only highlight was that i freaked out at


my class....ok for all those havent known me too well i get angry and i snap

badly.....so Monday to Wednesday my class absolutely drove me mad....none of

the kids were interested in learning; they were out of their seats all the

time....they kept talking all the time...jumped on benches....and what

not.....one of the kids Nihal drove me crazy! This lil kid has too much of

energy and so when he started troubling me too much i asked him to step out

of class for awhile, he went and locked all the classrooms from outside on

the ground floor.....it was both a funny and frustrating moment! My trainer

had to stand up at the window and shout out for help! A fellow from the

classroom next door gave us a call to unlock her classroom!



And dats when i absolutely lost it! I shouted at my entire class....so much

that i lost my voice....the kids dint get the words but they did get the

tone....and were quiet for the next 1.5 hrs till school got over....its a

different thing that i was very upset later! I went back the next day and

made things ok...so Thursday was the best day i have at summer school...my

class did really well on their short assignment! they finally understood

some lesson! Friday was ok too.....i was finally looking forward to week 4!



Week 4 was an experience in itself....my class was back to its original

self and i had to help them prepare a lil show for end of summer school and

the class was in mood to do that either....by Tuesday some kids had finally

started preparing a lil dance....bt i kpt feeling that i had lost out on

being a teacher...my kids loved jumping all over benches and lying down on

the floor....making them understand the value of minor things such as

cleanliness was an issue....



thursday i taught in another class.....cant explain what it felt like....ok

so i wasnt that bad a teacher...the new class was very interested in my

lesson and i taught them different types of claps (yeah we have these funky

clapping styles such as shooting star, firecracker, 'seal' of approval,etc.

il demonstrate those sometime)... Thursday was also awesome as the TFI staff

put up a lil show for the fellows which ended with free hugs and alot of us

crying (what do u do when there is a room full of ppl u care abt and you

know they wont be there after 2 days?!)



And then finally came friday....last day of summer school! My class did a

lil dance...heard the song 'in the jungle' from madagascar?? check out the

video! thts wht my kids did! the funny bit is...they had forgotten the

steps...so i went and stood behind where parents and other classes were

sitting and asked them to follow me.....alot of ppl turned and started

looking at me....mayb if u check out the attached video ul kno how funny i

looked doing it! (anythn fr my kids:):)) my class did really well...we evn

had a 2 minute skit on "king of the jungle" since that was our class

theme....



Now the best and most touching part of summer school...one memory i will

carry all my life.....at the end of the day, Nihal, the kid i scolded the

most came to me and hugged me and said "Didi, i will miss you".....i couldnt

control my tears...he wiped my tears and promised to be a good boy.....we

got an icecream and shared it...when it was time for him to go home he just

dint want to leave...it was tough for both of us to say bye:(



Iv spoken to Nihal everyday...he keeps checking if iv reached Mumbai safely

and how are other teachers from summer school doing....



Friday..something more happened.....there was a sesion on Child Protection

Policy....under the policy, a teacher cannot hit a child or even scold them

or raise their voice.....since me and my mini-cohort had handled the

toughest class, we were asked to share...that day i shared something that

took alot of effort...it was very difficult for me....it front of 99 fellows

and TFI staff heres what i said - " I failed...i failed at handling a class

of 20 kids, i failed at classroom management...i shouted at my class....i

was frustrated and not at my best while teaching....i did all i could...but

i failed".....i shared my experience with them and now im doing it with

you...believe me its not easy....and i have learnt what i should do and what

i shouldnt....



Saturday was fun...i had my last dinner with the TFI gang...50+ ppl at

Mcds...was super fun! dint want to say bye...i wish institute was

longer....Sunday was the closing ceremony....Chetan Bhagat was invited for a

small interaction as well......i dont know if any of you have read his

speech at the Symbiosis induction in June 2008...saw month, same

audi....just a differnt speech....weirdly i was there for both.....



I slpt thru sunday and monday mostly or caught up with a few friends.....it

was a weird feeling not being with a 100 ppl!:(



And came to Mumbai on Tuesday night...went house hunting today...havnt found

anythn....leme kno if any of u kno anyone in Malad....i saw my school...its

a dingy building...incase i dint tell u the name - MHB English Municipal

School and il b teaching grade 2 (55-60 kids) along with a

co-teacher....school starts on Monday for me:)



Heres what i think of Mumbai till now - Life in a metro...a city full of ppl

yet so empty....the sound of a fast local....or d dragging pace of a slow

one...Mumbai is the LA of India...its so full!!

No comments:

Post a Comment